Wednesday, November 7, 2007

You've gotta start somewhere

I must truly belong in the Pacific Northwest if I can walk out my door on a morning like this one, look at the silver-colored sky, feel the damp, cool air on my skin, see the sidewalk darkened with moisture, and think with buoyant gratitude, "What a lovely day!"

It's been almost two months to the day since David and I moved from San Francisco to Seattle. Now that some of the dust has settled from our move, I'm starting this blog to share my pictures and perceptions with family and friends.

Today for lunch I followed a recommendation from Yelp and went to Mae Phim Thai on Columbia Street, owned by a Thai immigrant with the unforgettable name of Orawan Butkiewicz. (She married a Polish American.) The food is cheap, fast, tasty; yes, if you come visit me at lunchtime I'll take you there. We'll want to get there around 11:30 if we don't want to wait in this line:




Afterwards I wandered around Pioneer Square for a bit, exercising my new (first) digital camera.

Detail of totem pole at the foot of 1st Avenue:


The Pioneer Square Pergola:


The name of this store is "Utilikilt," and yes, it's a kilt shop for manly men.


In two months, I've seen more men in kilts in Seattle than I normally would have in, oh, eight months in San Francisco. What's the deal? Do some guys just get tired of having rain-soaked trouser hems?

4 comments:

Bugwalk said...

Congratulations on your new blog! The picture of the kilt shop makes me think of a recent and hilarious Twisty Faster blog post on utility skirts for men--oh, there's a good reason the picture reminded me of Twisty's post, because her post is in fact about Utilikilts.

R.M. Morin said...

How is it possible to walk, take photos and form comments at the same time? Must be that you are talented and focused. We knew it all along! Loved the details about the restaurant. Mom

Cat said...

Cool blog, Sis! It's hard to look at the kilt shop pic without hearing that Scottish Highland Laddie joke in my head!

Enjoy your new camera and your new city...

Bugwalk said...

What's the Scottish Highland Laddie joke?