What I love about this park is the way it's laid out. It spans multiple levels of ground, and bridges the waterfront railroad tracks with a diagonal walkway. You can't see everything at once, so you walk along the varied pathways with a feeling of discovery. It's not just a collection of sculptures; it's a real place.
We started in the Pavilion, where we nestled ourselves into one of the "Capula" suspended sculptures by Mexican artist Pedro Reyes.
I found it inspirational, as you can see.
Then we went outside and checked out Richard Serra's monumental "Wake." Its undulating rust-colored walls were an echo of the hulls of the ships that were passing to and fro in Elliott Bay even as we stood there.
(Note of Bay Area interest: San Francisco has a fairly recently installed sculpture by Serra at the UCSF campus in Mission Bay; David got to see it as it was being installed a few years ago while he was on an urban planning conference tour.)
Here's Alexander Calder's "Eagle," along with David and the Space Needle.
Detail of "Father and Son," by Louise Bourgeois.
We eventually left the Olympic Sculpture Park and entered Myrtle Edwards Park, another waterfront park that lies to the north of the sculpture park. There we saw the old emblem of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper, mounted on a new building.
There was a fire boat out in the bay running its hose -- to clean it out, perhaps? -- and when we turned to walk back towards it we realized that we could see Mount Rainier. I couldn't get a very good image of it on my camera, but it was worth taking a picture of anyway; Rainier is so often hidden behind clouds.
Soon the fire boat turned its hose on at full power, and David said, "Oh, come on; now they're just showing off."
The spray even spritzed us on the shore as we passed the boat on our way back to the streets of town, ready for dinner as the sun set behind the Olympics and the air suddenly turned cold.
Link to the SAM Olympic Sculpture Park:
3 comments:
Nice pictures of you and David! I forgot to ask why you said in your first post that it was a lovely day--was it really a lovely day, or was that relativel to some other, less lovely day?
I meant "relative."
I just meant that I really thought it was a lovely day, even though I imagine that most people would think that an overcast, damp day was not especially lovely at all.
Post a Comment