My little digital camera can't adequately capture the view to the west from my office building. In the morning the light shines on the eastern face of the Olympic Mountains across Puget Sound. The feet of the mountains show as a blue-gray mass planted in the waters of the Sound; the peaks are jagged and white, with dark vertical ridges running down their slopes. Often, there's a band of clear sky running across the horizon between the peaks and the overcast marine layer of clouds, making it seem as though a dark theatrical curtain has been partially raised to reveal the mountain backdrop behind it. The summits I can see from here are between 5000' and 7000' high. I still haven't gotten over the fact that I can be standing in my office in a sea-level city
and be looking at a vast snow-capped mountain range at the same time. It knocks me out every time I leave my cubicle and walk down the aisle toward the windows on days when visibility is good.
This is the best I can do with my camera from my office window.

Since I can't take a decent picture of the view myself, here's a link to a nice photo I found on someone else's Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwmullins/217458760/
2 comments:
Wow, spectacular!
Hey, thanks for posting the link to my photo! Welcome to Seattle!
B Mully
http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/dna.php?username=b+mully
Post a Comment