Wednesday, June 25, 2008

You don't want to know what the penguins did to me

A corps of young Greenpeace workers has been saturation-canvassing downtown Seattle this week. At lunchtime and after work they're on every corner. They always manage to hit me when I'm trying to move with a purpose — when I need to catch a bus home, or when I'm on my way to meet David for lunch. They're well-trained in clever and varied approaches. One young man's opening line as I was trying to hurry past yesterday was, "Do you like polar bears?"

What I said over my shoulder as I raced on down the street was, "I love them, but I'm on my way to meet someone right now, sorry." Later I came up with a better response; I should have stopped, given him a shocked look, and choked out, "A polar bear...ate my brother!"

So many missed opportunities...

1 comment:

Bugwalk said...

Let us know what happens when you get a chance to try this.