Thursday, May 1, 2008
In terms of appliances
If San Francisco is known as the air-conditioned city, then Seattle is the city that climbed into the refrigerator and closed the door. It's still cold here, especially in the shade of the downtown buildings the closer I get to Elliott Bay. I imagine this might be what it feels like to walk in the radiant chill next to a glacier's icy bulk. The numbers on the thermometer don't explain it — the highs have been in the fifties, the lows in the forties. By those numbers, it's really not that cold. I think the numbers that explain it best are the ones on the calendar: 5 and 1. It's the first of May, and I am still wearing my winter coat, wool hat, scarf, and gloves. (My coat needs cleaning, but I don't think there will be three days when I won't need it.) Feeling cool to cold most of the year is nothing new to me, coming from San Francisco. But feeling this cold? This late? Seattle, is this really necessary?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment