Thursday, February 28, 2008

Kick, glide, ouch – more, please!

Whenever I feel blue about having left San Francisco, which is less and less often these days, I must remind myself that I now live in a place where we can drive for an hour or so and be out on the trails, cross-country skiing, which is what we did last Sunday. Back when we lived in SF, it would take us at least five hours to drive to the Sierras, and so it required a fair degree of commitment whenever we wanted to go skiing, since we had to reserve lodging and plan for at least an overnight stay. As a result, we never went skiing more than two or three times a season, and last season we didn't go at all.

But here, the snow level is down around 2000 feet and the Cascades are just over the King county line. So we finally got the lead out, dug our ski gear out from wherever we had stashed it for the big move, bought a one-day Sno-Park pass at REI, reserved a car, and zipped out to Cabin Creek Sno-Park on Sunday morning, arriving around 9:00 am after about an hour and ten minutes on the freeway, no traffic. It's almost too easy. Almost.

Cabin Creek has just a few miles of groomed trails; it only took us until lunchtime to ski all of their beginner and intermediate trails. Still, it was not a bad workout for a first XC outing in two years. After four days I've almost quit groaning from sore muscles when I get out of my chair. And I can't wait to go again!

1 comment:

Bugwalk said...

February 28, by my calendar, is nearly two weeks ago! SOMETHING must have happened in Seattle since then. (That is, waiting with bated breath for more.)