Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

I was looking forward to this New Year’s Eve more than I usually do, for several reasons. First of all, I found out that every year they shoot fireworks off the Space Needle, which sounded pretty cool, and also, we happen to be living right now in an apartment building with a rooftop patio that has an outstanding unobstructed view of the SN, which is only about one mile away.

Add to that the fact that the weather conditions were flawless — no rain, clear skies, mild temperatures — and the fact that we may be living somewhere else by next New Year’s Eve, and I was anticipating this New Year’s Eve as possibly a one-time-only chance to watch the Space Needle fireworks under ideal conditions.

David and I timed it just right; we went up to the roof about five minutes to midnight with our champagne and a portable radio for tuning in to the simultaneous music soundtrack (the theme this year: “A Tribute to Hollywood”). Some of our fellow tenants were up there, too, but there was plenty of room. At midnight I turned the radio on, and waited.

And waited. And waited. A couple of minutes went by. Then some rockets went off, but the display was lopsided and didn’t look coordinated. There was another long pause, then the show continued to the end, although the fireworks still didn’t look as if they were firing quite right.

We found out later that the computer file that was supposed to run the show had gotten corrupted, and the pyrotechnicians had to run the show manually. What a disappointment, although as one person commented on one of the news websites, if this is the worst thing that happens in Seattle in 2008, we should all be grateful.

No comments: