Last night David and I talked to our friend Linda (a.k.a. my blogguru). She said that she’s thinking of leaving San Francisco after many decades and moving back to Michigan, where she grew up. Her parents are about to move from Ann Arbor to Ypsilanti and she’s thinking she’d like to be closer to them.
“What do people do for jobs in Ypsilanti?” David asked.
“Work in bars,” said Linda.
She said that she might even be able to afford an itsy-bitsy house in Ypsilanti, which inspired me to write the following ditty:
I love my itsy-bitsy shanty
In tipsy Ypsilanti
Where my uncle and my auntie
Own a bar,
Yes, my acreage is scanty
But I love my Ypsilanti
Shanty shack from which I’ll never
Wander far.
In my head I hear this as a jaunty Tin-Pan-Alley-style melody, something like another ode to a Midwestern town — think “Gary, Indiana” from The Music Man.
(All right, you critics out there; just be glad I didn't include some of the other rhymes I thought of for "Ypsilanti," like "panty," for instance.)
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As it happens, my father's aunt and uncle DID own a bar in Ypsi!
Let the record reflect that I have been in San Francisco for 2.5 decades--lots of years, but not that many decades! :-)
Post a Comment