Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bike to Work Day: Better late than never

I rode my bike to work today for the first time since moving to Seattle. We live so close to downtown that I can either walk to the office or take a ten-minute bus ride straight to the front door of my building, so I never bothered to find a cycling route or look into the bike parking facilities at my building, until now.

But I finally found a motivation; the Group Health Bike Commute Challenge Wrap Party is this evening from 5-8pm at Pyramid Brewery south of downtown, and naturally, self-respect dictates that I show up on a bike rather than by stinky old bus. (David participated in the Commute Challenge this year; I didn't, but I’m hoping I can get into the party anyway if I look like I have a little bike commuter cred.) So, on Monday I paid my $20 key fee to the building management office to gain access to the bike cage in the parking garage, and this morning I rode in to work, ably shepherded by David, who wanted to make sure I made it safely.

The route could use some adjustment, but hey, that's part of the adventure…

Here's a picture of my pony, secured to one of those awful "coathanger" racks in the bike cage.


Coda: All went well after work; we rode down to Pyramid Brewpub opposite Safeco Field for the party, where they had ample temporary bike parking, one free beer per guest, and drawings for bike gear. Plenty of light left for our ride back at 8pm.

No comments: